3/21/16

March 25, 2016 - Good Friday

Organ Prelude
Followed by a period of silence as the choir and ministers enter.
11:00 am - The Celebration of the Lord’s Passion

The Ministry of the Word
When the congregation has assembled and the ministers, having entered in silence, are in their places, all shall stand.

All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned every one to his own way,
And the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.
Christ the Lord became obedient unto death,
Even death on a cross.

Silence may be kept.

Almighty God,
our heavenly Father, we have sinned in thought and word and deed; we have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbours as ourselves. We pray you of your mercy, forgive us all that is past, and grant that we may serve you in newness of life to the glory of your name. Amen.

The Collect of the Day
The Lord be with you.
And also with you.
Let us pray.
Almighty God, look graciously, we pray, on this your family, for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed and given into the hands of sinners, and to suffer death upon the cross; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Psalm 22 (1-17)
Refrain: My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? and are so far from my cry and from the words of my distress? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but you do not answer; by night as well, but I find no rest. R Yet you are the Holy One, enthroned upon the praises of Israel. Our forefathers put their trust in you; they trusted, and you delivered them. R They cried out to you and were delivered; they trusted in you and were not put to shame.  But as for me, I am a worm and no man, scorned by all and despised by the people. R All who see me laugh me to scorn; they curl their lips and wag their heads, saying, "He trusted in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, if he delights in him." R Yet you are he who took me out of the womb, and kept me safe upon my mother's breast.  I have been entrusted to you ever since I was born; you were my God when I was still in my mother's womb. R Be not far from me, for trouble is near, and there is none to help.  Many young bulls encircle me; strong bulls of Bashan surround me.  They open wide their jaws at me, like a ravening and a roaring lion. R I am poured out like water; all my bones are out of joint; my heart within my breast is melting wax.  My mouth is dried out like a pot-sherd; my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; and you have laid me in the dust of the grave. R Packs of dogs close me in, and gangs of evildoers circle around me; they pierce my hands and my feet; I can count all my bones.  They stare and gloat over me; they divide my garments among them; they cast lots for my clothing. R

The Sermon       Archdeacon John Clarke

Hymn 192: Were You There (v. 1-5)

The Solemn Intercession (BAS)         pg. 309

The Meditation of the Cross
This is the wood of the cross,
on which hung the Saviour of the world.
Come let us worship.

The Shadow of the Cross
(Congregational parts)
Near The Cross


I Need Thee Every Hour

You Are My All In All

When I Survey The Wondrous Cross

The Lord’s Prayer
As our Saviour taught us, let us pray,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen.

The Closing Prayer
Send down your abundant blessing, Lord, upon your people who have devoutly recalled the death of your Son in the sure and certain hope of the resurrection. Grant them pardon; bring them comfort. May their faith grow stronger and their eternal salvation be assured. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

There is no blessing or dismissal added to the service. The ministers, choir and congregation leave in silence (unless they desire to remain in the Church for prayer).



No comments: